Sunday 20 May 2012

Bees behaving badly!

Every day over the last week I moved hive number four a couple of feet closer to hive number three until by Friday the two hives were side by side. Yesterday I was all set to unite them when I received a phone call and the chance to buy a mated Apis Mellifera Mellifera queen. I agreed to buy one queen, but now I would have to rethink my plans and make preparations for the arrival of the new queen. I decided to have a look at my bees and find out what exactly where they (and I) stand.

My hive number one still had no eggs, larvae or brood, and the bees were not happy! By my reckoning a virgin queen hatched in this colony about two weeks ago and should still be there, waiting for a chance to get mated.

The bees were flying very well from hive number two and my inspection showed eggs, larvae and sealed brood, and no queen cells. They had taken down all the syrup I had given to them a week earlier and I removed the feeder because there was quite a lot of unsealed stores in the brood chamber. The queen had plenty of room to lay, but still had not started to use the two super frames of comb I had given to the colony more than two weeks ago, although I suspect that was down to the cold wet weather as much as anything.

On to hive number three. I had given this colony a frame of eggs, larvae and brood a week previously and I expected to see sealed queen cells by now. However when I removed the frame there were larvae and sealed brood, but no queen cells of any kind. I checked my dates - it was seven days since I inserted the frame of eggs, larvae and brood - they had not had time to rear a queen, so the inevitable conclusion I came to was that there must already have been some sort of queen in this colony! This colony did have a drone laying queen in earlier in the year, which I killed, and since then the colony never contained any eggs, so it is a bit of a mystery how there could be a queen in residence. Maybe in the absence of a queen and brood for the last eight weeks or so some of the workers were developing into laying workers, and starting to produce pheromones making the colony believe they had a queen.

Since hive number 3 and hive number four were side by side I decided to move hive number three over to where hive number four had originally been (about 7 or 8 metres away), and I placed hive number four exactly where hive number three had been. I then removed all the frames from hive number three one by one and shook all the bees off in front of the hive. In theory any bees that had been flying within the last couple of weeks, finding themselves out of the hive, should orient themselves and return to where their hive had just been moved from (i.e. the location now occupied by hive number four). All other bees (including the mysterious queen or laying workers) should hopefully be completely disoriented and simply head into the closest hive (i.e. hive number three). I gave hive number four a couple of frames of stores from hive number three and took the opportunity to take a few soiled and damaged frames out of service.I also gave hive number four the frame containing the larvae and sealed brood which had previously been in hive number three.

Hopefully by doing this hive number four now contains a good number of adult bees and drones, and also some emerging young bees, but no queen or laying workers. I will introduce the new queen to this colony when I receive her, and the young bees should be able to look after the new queen and any new brood she produces.

1 comment:

  1. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, ANTI VIRUS, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +234 901 075 4824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete